The essential qualifications for admission to the Duke University School of Medicine are intelligence, character, and integrity. We're looking for individuals who have compiled remarkable undergraduate records with clear evidence of leadership and scholarship, commitment to community service, and motivation for a career in medicine.
Admission requires at least 90 hours of approved college credit, including:
- A minimum of 1 semester of general chemistry with lab
- A minimum of 1 semester of organic chemistry with lab
- A minimum of 1 semester of biochemistry (lab optional)
- One year of biology with lab; a course in cell and/or molecular biology is strongly recommended
- One year of college English or a university writing course
- One year of physics with lab
- One semester of calculus plus one semester of an additional college-level math, statistics or biostatistics are strongly recommended
All science requirements must be completed not more than seven years before you enter medical school.
All applicants must also have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), administered by:
American College Testing Programs and Services
PO Box 414
Iowa City, Iowa 52240